Will McLean Foundation “Best New Florida Song Contest” Official Rules and Entry Information
1. The theme of the entered song must be about some aspect of Florida (i.e. history, heritage, land, sky, water, critters or people) and clearly identifiable to Florida.
2. Lyrics and melody must be the original creation of the entrant(s).
3. The song should be uploaded as an mp3 file. Production is at your discretion. Upload one song or lyric at a time.
4. Each entrant may submit up to 3 songs, accompanied by $10.00 fee per song thru the PayPal link provided. If you have previously submitted a song(s) that did not place in the top 3 songs for that year, you may resubmit your song(s).
5. Cash prizes will be awarded. The first, second and third place winners will be notified by phone or email, and will be invited to perform their song at the annual Will McLean Festival in March. (Please consider applying as a performer to the festival as well on the performer application form on this website).
6. Winning entries may be utilized later in a compilation CD, but all rights will remain with the writer(s).
7. The uploaded mp3 song files must only contain the song itself with no explanations or introductions. Please name the mp3 file with the name of the song
8. Upload lyric sheets (.doc, word or text files only) on this website link and only include the name of the song with exactly the same title as the mp3 file so we can match lyrics and mp3s. Make sure the application form includes the song title, lyrics, and the name, address, phone number and email address of the composer(s). (note: Contest judges will only see the lyric sheet without the personal information so they can make their decision strictly on the song melody and lyrics alone and not by name recognition)
9. Criteria for judging will be based on AUTHENTICITY, ORIGINALITY, QUALITY OF THE LYRICS, MELODY, STRENGTH OF FLORIDA THEME and the EMOTIONAL IMPACT OF THE SONG.
10. The first-place winner from last year is ineligible to enter this year
11. The official contest entry period began June 1st and continues through October 31st.
By entering the song contest, the entrant agrees to have their song posted on the Will McLean website and/or recorded on a winners’ compilation CD.
NOTE: If you would like to be considered for performance slots at the festival, please also apply as a performer which is a separate process. That application can be found on our "Performer Application" page.
For questions about the song contest contact: Song Contest Coordinator Donna Green-Townsend at 352-466-5070 or send an email to
We look forward to hearing your songs!
Complete form attaching your lyric sheet and the MP3 file of your song with the same title. If there any problems uploading your entry or payment contact song contest coordinator Donna Green-Townsend at
© 2022 Will McLean Foundation
1056 Osowaw Blvd, Spring Hill, FL 34607 407.504.2231
All rights reserved.
Powered by Joomla Design Studios